Awesome little Mighty-Mite
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Date: July 26, 2021
I think I have a problem. I already have a couple of travel sets and certainly did not need another. However, when I saw this one available I just could not resist. Maybe it was the fact that it was a solid board using magnets instead of pegs, or maybe it was the unbelievable $30 price.
Anyway, I got this and I am delighted that I did.
* The magnets are *STRONG*
* The pieces are quite well fashioned and detailed even at this tiny size (2.9cm king)
* The finish of both pieces and board are surprisingly elegant
* The zip case is very convenient and made of tough cordura
* It just looks really good
* Even at a 6" board, this isn't quite the most compact set I have -- that would be a passport board with similar size pieces. The zip case makes this just a bit bulky and it will take up space in a bag.
* The wood veneer is clearly fake, even if it is attractive.
* There is a rather strong chemical stink when one first opens it, and it does take nearly a week of airing out before that is gone
As you can see, very little bad or ugly, and even those aren't that bad or ugly (especially since the stink does go away). I currently use this at work as an evaluation/puzzle board during lunches, and have got a few compliments on it. I haven't yet used it while traveling (what with COVID and all), but have taken it for a game with a mate at a local pub - and really, what could be better than a pint over a game of chess at the beach in Southern California?. Unfortunately, this set really is too small for that use though I think the 10" version would be perfect. But still, using this as something to toss in a bag or in your car as a 'just-in-case' set makes a lot of sense. After all, it's better to have a chess set and not need it than need a chess set and not have it.